Brian Kelly - The Berkeley Times, 12-16-10
The Berkeley Holiday Fund has solicited contributions from the Berkeley Community and disbursed the money to needy individuals and families. The Fund is an all-volunteer effort, a real kitchen table charity. All monies that are collected go directly to those in need. Recipients are nominated by social service agencies serving Berkeley, and checks are mailed directly to the individuals and families suggested by those agencies. The amount of each check is modest, but it is enough to make the holidays a bit brighter for the recipients. It can enable a grandmother to buy a present for her grandchild, a single parent to add something special to a holiday meal, a homeless man to buy a pair of shoes. Some people will use the money to buy much needed medication; others will use it for toys for their children.
Last year, thanks to the generosity of Berkeley citizens, the Berkeley Holiday Fund was able to send checks to almost 900 recipients. These included
- A single mother of two who lost her job when she was injured in a car accident An elderly grandmother with severe arthritis, caring for her daughter's three children
- A family of four, the father works two low wage jobs and the mother suffers from depression
- A deaf man who is going blind and has no family and few friends
- A teen mother raising her child on her own while working and going to school to complete her diploma
- An elderly woman whose income goes for rent, food, and medication, leaving nothing for personal items
- A Berkeley High student who will be the first in her family to go to college and cannot afford application fees.
- A homeless man with mental health problems who suffers from severe, chronic back pain
Berkeley Holiday Fund In The News
To read the Berkeley Voice article on the Holiday Fund click on "Holiday Fund Serves Dose of Optimism." To read the Berkeleyside.com article click on "Berkeleyans show generosity of spirit for local causes."
The Berkeley Holiday Fund is part of AmazonSmile. Click here for more information.
We hope that you will consider a donation to the Berkeley Holiday Fund. Contributions should be made out to The Berkeley Holiday Fund and sent to
The Berkeley Holiday Fund
P.O. Box 9779
Berkeley, CA 94707
If you prefer to use a credit card to donate online, please click the Just Give button above. (Please note there is a 4.5% service fee charged by Just Give for processing your credit card donation.)
The Berkeley Holiday Fund is a 501 (c) 3 charitable corporation and all contributions are fully tax deductible.